Update from the Superintendent Nov 18

Update from the Superintendent
Posted on 11/18/2020
UA Families and Staff,

We have two pieces of information to share.  

1) We made an adjustment to the calendar in order to provide two professional development days for staff to participate in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion training.  These dates are Friday, December 4 and Friday January 15.  The updated calendar is HERE and indicates these two dates as student non-attendance days.  This means there will be no classes or education activities for students on December 4 and January 15th.  January 18th is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, so this will create a four-day weekend January 15th - 18th.

2) We have updated our COVID dashboard with the latest numbers from the Health Department.  After consulting with our parent/staff Covid-19 committee and our board of directors, we have decided that we will continue virtual learning through the remainder of First Semester.  

While it is too soon to predict our modality of learning in January, we will keep reviewing the latest data and announce any updates as they become available.   It IS OUR INTENT to come back to school as soon as it is safe to do so.   We recognize the less-than-ideal circumstances virtual education is for all involved.   We will continue to look for additional supports and options for the second semester.  

I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving, and let's continue to be safe.

***Post from Oct 28th***

University Academy Families,

Last night, our board voted to adopt gating criteria that will serve to guide UA's decision-making on when and how we can offer in-person instruction again.  UA's gating criteria is highly aligned to Jackson County's school gating criteria and is very similar to what other local school districts are using as a guide.   We look at community transmission numbers within the KCPS boundaries, not just KCMO as whole, since all of our students reside within KCPS.   

The most recent public report from the Health Department was based on numbers through Oct. 4, 2020.  Those numbers are in the far right hand column of the graphic below.   The local health department has recently made some internal changes, and we now anticipate an updated report to come from them on Thursday, Oct. 29th.   Each time there is an update from the Health Department, we will update this dashboard, and it will be available to see on our website.   

Unfortunately, as of today, the community transmission numbers are much higher than the recommended amounts that would allow us to seriously consider offering in-person instruction.   We will continue to look at data each time it comes out with a committee made up of parents, administrators and staff.   Until the numbers at least partially fall into the Yellow or Green zones, we will continue to conduct classes virtually.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.